Isle of Man TT Races

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why I ride, Part 1....

Why I Like Riding Motorcycles, by Christian Aasland


I've never really thought about why I like riding motorcycles. I just do. Thus, to help understand why, I have identified three aspects.

The first is traveling, which is more enjoyable by motorcycle, as it minimizes what I bring to the equation so that, by contrast, the place I am in occupies more of my consciousness. It is minimalist; it requires exposure the elements, with the freedom of movement and of smell, from roadkill to blossoms, cool ocean spray to the dry heat of ponderosa pines. A core aspect of travel is exploration, which starts with planning, poring over maps and possibilities. Then we explore in person, immersed in the environment. Often a destination is merely an excuse to explore the topography leading up to it.

The second aspect is stress relief. Whether it is relaxing on a gently winding country road or getting into "The Zone" on a challenging backroad, the worries of work are shed away and I feel more invigorated. Even anticipating a future ride or reminiscing about a past one is calming and refreshing.

Finally, there's the social aspect. Even when we can't ride, our shared interest in all things with two wheels and a motor creates a common bond which spans our differences. The results are shared pints of beer around a campfire, watching mediocre movies and great races on cold dark winter nights, and steaming hot coffee on crisp mornings. Social Media can't touch this.

These are not the only aspects which makes motorcycling interesting, but they are the main ones and they are not mutually exclusive. Here's to another great riding season!